Monday, September 9, 2013

It's a New Beginning

It's that time of year again.... pencils, paper and crayons fill the store shelves, there are "sales" everywhere on jeans, tennis shoes, and backpacks! There are lists to fill, clothes to buy, and lunchboxes to prepare for. But that is for some of us moms. What about those that don't have any of these things to do? What about those of us that choose to keep our children at home? After a wonderful summer of memory making and family time it is time to slow down a little, focus more attention on the three R's and all attention turns to mom.

Josiah helping Katherine when she couldn't remember how to write her number "4".

This journey of homeschooling isn't always easy and glamorous. Don't get me wrong. I love my "job" and I love the 6 children that call me mom. But there are days when it is hard to maintain that focus when the newborn has a belly ache, the toddler squirts toothpaste ALL over the bathroom, the preschooler has strep throat and the 7 year old is in a cast and needs help with everything right now (and yes this is my day today as I type this post one sentence at a time in between interruptions). And yet in the midst of it all, this verse pops into my head -

Colossians 3:23-24 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.

WOW! What a reminder. It is so humbling to even think about the fact that in serving my children and working within my home I am serving Christ. Truly this is the job He has called me to and given me. He is my "boss" and overseer. It is Him I should be striving to please. And fellow homeschool mom, I really don't think that Christ cares about how clean your floor is or how many dirty dishes are in your sink. He sees much deeper than that. How have you trained the young hearts in your care? Have you pointed their faith to Jesus today? Have you shown them what "peace that passes all understanding" can look like in a home? Those are the tasks He sees as important.



So, as the books come out and the children gather around the table each morning, smile at them, love them, and let them see you love your time with them. Make the heart training be the most important work of your homeschool this year for that is eternal work and of such greater importance than anything else!


Written by Happily Domestic contributor- Amanda Sikes 

Pin It!

1 comment:

Cindy M. said...

Thank you for the reminder. I had a tuff day today with my kids and this was a lovely reminder of the midset I need to have. Thank you for your post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...