Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Our 2013-2014 Homeschool Curriculum

Every year I like to share what I have planned for my children for the school year.  This year marks our 7th year to homeschool.  I currently have a 7th and 6th grader and 2 preschoolers!  Yes, it makes life very busy around here but in a good way.  Each year I seem to figure out more ways to make this all work.  It is never easy, but always rewarding!

Here is what I have planned for this school year:

Math



This is our 4th year to use Teaching Textbooks and we love it!  My son and daughter always enjoy their math lessons and I don't have to do anything.  It is awesome!

Language Arts & Social Studies




Towards the end of last school year both my son and daughter were not enjoying their School of Tomorrow language arts paces.  I was spending so much time making corrections that it was hard to keep up with.  We decided to give Time4Learning a try and have been so pleased with it.  This is an online curriculum that offers all subjects for grades preschool-12th grade.  All lessons are graded for you as well as the record keeping.  Lessons are fun and entertaining and yet meet all the state educational standards.  It is very affordable to!  We pay only $35 a month for 2 students.  This year we are using Time4Learning for both language arts and social studies.

Handwriting



Horizons Penmanship and Cursive 

I know, this is a 4th grade book...but it is so advanced!  Plus, I liked the fact that it covered both print handwriting as well as cursive.  My kids need practice in both!  I like that most the handwriting assignments are scripture based as well.

Geography



Maps Skills for Today is a great little workbook that teaches some basic map reading skills.  I have my kiddos work on these twice a week and it usually gets us through the school year.

Science



This is my first time to try Abeka science, but I got a great deal from a fellow schooler and it looked simple enough to teach.  This is actually the 5th grade curriculum, however science is science so I am not to worried about it.  I also like that this covers health as I try to teach that every year as well.

Spanish



Both these books are meant for elementary students, however considering I do not know any Spanish I thought this would be a good place to start. :-)

Music


Piano Lessons and Meet The Composers 2

Piano- I can't even remember when my 2 older children started piano lessons, it has been that long!  They take a lesson once a week and are getting into some harder pieces.  I love seeing how far they have come over the years and enjoy hearing them play. 
Composers- Last year my children finished up the first book in the Great Composers series.  We really have been enjoying this series.  It gives short biographies of each composers life. Then they do a worksheet to see what they learned.  We also listen to 1 piece of music from each composer.  It's been a great, easy way to get in some musical history.

P.E.

Physical education is probably the hardest subject to get in for most homeschool families.  If your kiddos aren't enrolled in a class of some kind, it is easy to overlook.  At least it is for us.  My family is not very active and not sports oriented. It takes extra effort to get this subject in. My plan for this year is to do swim lessons for the kids this fall and then again in the spring, roller skating, hiking, and of course lots of walks!

Extra Curricular

My children attend a homeschool coop on Tuesdays. A variety of classes are always offered and they have fun choosing which ones to attend.  For this fall semester my 7th grade some will be taking a Lego education class (which he is thrilled about) and an animal science class.  My 6th grade daughter will be taking the Lego class too as well as an American Girl history class. My 2 preschool age sons will be taking a music and movement class as well as a preschool learning class. 

Preschool


Little E and J Bug are still attending the same Lutheran preschool they attended last year.  They go 2 mornings a week for 3 hours each time.  I also teach them preschool at home 3 days a week.  This year I am using Mother Goose Time curriculum as well as Rod and Staff's preschool workbooks.  I will also be using Hooked on Phonics Pre-K program with them to get the alphabet sounds down.  I would like to start Little E on the HOP Kindergarten program by spring and get him reading.  Technically he could be in Kindergarten this year, but we decided to wait until he is 6. This way he and J Bug will only be 1 grade apart and it will make my life easier once I start teaching them both full time.  Lastly, we are also reading from the Little Boys Bible Story Book (for Mothers & Sons) and going over their Bedtime Learning Books.


What does your school year look like this year?  I would love to hear about it.

Pin It!

3 comments:

Danielle said...

I am so curious about homeschooling. Why do you not choose to send your kids to public school?

HappilyDomestic said...

Danielle- Good question! Although I feel public schools have their places in our society, we do not wish to send our children there for various reasons. Our biggest reason is we feel it is our primary responsibility to teach our children what they need to know. We do not agree with our children being away from home so many hours each day. There is much to say about being a family unit. Another biggy is the fact that God is not allowed in the public school system. We are believers and want our children to have a Christ centered education. Last but not least, we do not want the influence. Kids today are not allowed to be innocent for long. We didn't want our children to be exposed to certain topics to early in life. We want them to be free to play and be kids without the added pressure of dating, sex, etc. Anyway, there are so many perks to homeschooling. It is not easy though and takes much dedication from the parents. A labor of love if you will. :-)

Michelle - Blessed Mom of 4 said...

Hey Beth! Looks like a great lineup for your year! I don't get around the blog world as much any more so I had fun catching up on yours. Your kids are getting so big! Hope your school year goes really well for you guys!
Blessings,
Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...